Pure Heart Cockapoos
The Cockapoo "breed": Cockapoos are considered "designer dogs", and are a cross between a poodle and a cocker spaniel. Historically, this has been done to capture the low/no-shed hypo-allergenic coat and intelligence of a poodle with the affectionate, outgoing nature of the cocker spaniel. As a result, they are generally highly trainable and intelligent. They do well with one-person owners and families with small children, and they are very affectionate, people-oriented dogs.
Their coat is usually dense with wavy or curly hair, and usually little-to-no-shedding, and their coat is not suitable for cold weather. Tails may be docked or not. Size varies based on the size of the parents, but is generally judged by height, not weight, and can be categorized as toy, mini, or standard sized. (We generally breed large toy or smaller mini-size poodles with cockers to produce what would be categorized as a mini cockapoo.) Typically, the darker the nose color, the darker the eye color will be. Ears will be hang below eye level and close to the head. The bite should be aligned. Coloring may be any solid color, parti color, phantom, sable, tri-color, merle, or roan.
F1 first generation cockapoos are a cross between a pure-bred poodle and pure-bred cocker spaniel, while F2 (second) generations and beyond may be crosses between cockapoos and cockapoos, cockapoos and cocker spaniels, cockapoos and poodles. Only an F1 first generation cockapoo will guarantee an even 50/50 mix of cocker spaniel and poodle genetic traits.
For more specific information on the "breed" standard from the American Cockapoo Club, click here.
Sizing: Size is determined by the height, rather than the weight, of the adult dog. Height is measured to the top of the shoulder in standing position.
- Toy: 10” or less at shoulder height, usually under 12 lb.
- Mini: 11” – 14” at shoulder, usually 12-20 lb.
- Standard: 15” or higher, over 20 lb.
Color and Markings:
- Typical Colors: Black, White, Buff, Cream, Apricot.
- Special Colors: Any typical color with white markings, Red, Chocolate.
- Parti: Two or more solid colors, one of which must be white.
- Phantom: Usually a black body with brown color on legs, under tail, eyebrows, and side of face.
- Sable: Black or dark brown at birth, lightening to a mix of gold, silver, red, brown, or tan; darker points in coloring, usually on the face and ears.
- Tri-Color: parti color with tan markings over eyes, on muzzle, ears, legs and sometimes chest.
- Merle: lighter colors of the base color swirled with the darker base color.
- Roan: single white hairs and white patches intermingled with the base color.
Spaying/Neutering: Pure Heart Cockapoos requires that all customers spay or neuter their cockapoo at 4-6 months of age if they buy from us. This is included in our purchase agreement and is designed both to ensure the integrity of Pure Heart Cockapoo's puppy quality (We only want our reputation to be associated with F1 first generation cockapoos) and to improve the overall health of our puppies.
Benefits of spaying females include no heat cycles (therefore males will not be attracted); less desire to roam, therefore less likely to be injured in auto accident; reduce or eliminate risk of mammary gland tumors, ovarian and/or uterine cancer, especially if done before the first heat cycle; reduces number of unwanted dogs/puppies; helps dogs live longer, healthier lives.
Benefits of neutering males include reducing or eliminating risk of spraying and marking; less desire to roam, therefore less likely to be injured in fights or auto accidents; risk of testicular cancer is eliminated, and decreases incidence of prostate disease; reduces number of unwanted dogs/puppies; decreases aggressive behavior, including biting; helps dogs live longer, healthier lives.
Adapted from article on http://www.spayusa.org.
What We Provide:
- On request, a registration application to register your puppy with the American Cockapoo Club — you will need to fill it out online per the instructions on the form. However, such a registration is not generally needed except for breeding purposes. Since our purchase agreement requires spaying/neutering between 4 and 6 months of age, most of our buyers don't ask for this application.
- Signed health guarantee from Pure Heart Cockapoos — included as part of contract.
- Small baggie of puppy food.
- Doggie toy or blanket with scent of litter mates.
- Plain Collar, if you would like to provide your own we will get your puppy accustomed to it.
- A medical record showing all shots/worming that have been given to your puppy. Since you will need to schedule a vet appointment within 5 days of receiving your puppy, you should bring this medical record to make sure the vet is aware of all treatments given.
All puppies are priced the same, regardless of color or gender. We reserve the right to lower prices if necessary if the puppy begins to "age out" so that he/she can be placed in a home sooner, but given demand we do not expect this to be necessary. Current pricing will be displayed with each litter on our Available Puppies page.
A deposit of 50% of the purchase price is required to reserve your puppy; this and all deposits are applied to the price of the puppy. Our preferred method of payment for deposits is PayPal, but we also accept cash, cashier's check (no certified or personal checks), money orders, and debit or credit cards. The 50% deposit is non-refundable, but may be applied to a puppy from a future litter for up to 2 years from when the deposit is received. When you pick out your puppy, one half of the balance (25% of the purchase price) is due. Final payment is due IN CASH when you pick up your puppy. If you are placing a deposit on a puppy with fewer than two weeks before delivery or pick-up, please contact us for payment arrangements.
For other payment arrangements such as a single one-time payment in full, or a modified installment plan, please contact us prior to making payment. We will not accept less than the 50/25/25 arrangement, but may consider more aggressive installment plans. Note that all non-cash payments must clear before taking possession of a puppy.
Note that puppies in future litters may be priced higher; however, your deposit on a puppy from a future litter will lock in the advertised rate for puppies from the most recent advertised price at the time of deposit.
What our Prices Include:
- Docked tails: This is done before the puppies are 3 days old to ensure no undo pain for the puppies. The nerve in the tail does not develop until after the 3rd day.
- Dew Claw removal: Dew claws are removed before day 3 to prevent undo pain to the puppies.
- First Shots: Puppies need regular vaccinations every 2-4 weeks until 14 weeks of age. Puppies leave the mother after week 8 so you will have to keep up on the vaccination schedule.
- Dewormed: Puppies should be dewormed 3-4 times before 8 weeks of age, then again at 6 and 12 months.
- ACC Registered: The American Cockapoo Club (ACC) is a registry and a club dedicated to promoting the cockapoo, while encouraging and supporting its breeder members.
- 1 Year Health Guarantee: Signed guarantee from Pure Heart Cockapoos, included as part of the purchase agreement, that guarantees you a puppy free of genetic defects for 1 year. Breeder must be presented with documentation from a reliable and professional veterinarian. Buyers have the option of returning the puppy within the 1st year in exchange for first position on a waiting list for a future litter.
- Starter Kit: Includes a small bag of food, a plain collar, and a toy or blanket with scent of litter mates.